(Dates and prices for our 37th and last season)
There will be only one session in 2024. It will take place from Saturday 25 May to Saturday 8 June.
This year, my associate teachers will be two former students who have made good use of our courses. They are: Sarah Elliott, who is currently teaching drawing and painting at the University of New Hampshire, USA, and Cathy Layzel, who is an independent artist working in South Africa.
Prices and arrangements for 2024
- For teaching by myself and the invited artists, the use and maintenance of the studio + the cost of breakfasts and four evening meals: €1250. (To convert the prices to your currency at the current exchange rate, you may use this Currency Converter).
- For meals: Students will need to self-organize all the meals that are not included in the overall price (there are self-catering facilitates in all the Gîtes. For eating out there are two restaurants, a pizzeria and the tearooms, where we will be having breakfasts).
- For accommodation: you will need to organise this for yourselves. To help you find a place that suits you, suggestions are listed below, under the heading ‘Information on accommodation, meals and travel‘, at the bottom of the page, after the ‘Booking Form‘ below.
Footnote: Several aspiring artists have come to Montmiral with the help of grants. If you are considering the idea of taking a university course (whether undergraduate or graduate), or if you are already at the stage of working independently and are hard pressed for funds for ongoing independent study, you might consider the availability of this option. In making the application, you should emphasise the uniqueness of the tuition available at this school. An easy way to do this would be to refer the grant giving body concerned to the Course Director page on this website. If your application is not accepted, let me know and I will look into your case with a view to deciding whether I can offer you a reduction.
There will be no deposits. We prefer to trust that anyone who has sent in the booking form and made accommodation arrangements, will indeed come. If circumstances arise to make their visit here impossible, it is important to let us know at the earliest opportunity.
The booking form for our last session, Saturday 25 May to Saturday 8 June
Please fill in the online booking form below and then submit it. If there are still vacancies, we will book you provisionally. Your booking will be confirmed when you let us know that your accommodation has been arranged.
Unfortunately we have been having some trouble with our booking form: sometimes it works perfectly, but on other occasions it fails to do so. If, after filling it in and sending it, you get no reply, please send your details by email.
Information on accommodation, meals and travel
Accommodation in Montmiral
Self-catering gîtes regularly used by our students
Chambre d’hotes (Bed and breakfast)
Agnès (Bed & breakfast with one room; convenient for shops): Website
Just outside Montmiral
Sarah Stubbs (Two self-catering gîtes) : Website
Elizabeth and Jonathan Adey (Multiple purpose house with several bedrooms, a separate small gite, large garden and wonderful cooking. Shuttle transport possible) : Website
Hotel on central square
Hotel des Consuls: Website
Useful websites: Booking.com
Breakfast and group meals that are included in our price
- For breakfasts we have been particularly happy to eat at ‘Au Baladin de la Gresigne’, where, by special arrangement, at breakfast time only, we have been offered exclusive use of the balcony or, if raining, a large indoor room. Frederique, who runs the place, offers a wide range of food and drink choices to suit individual needs. The breakfasts have functioned as a very useful start-of-day meeting place, used for coordinating the day’s activity and, when appropriate, for me to give short talks.
- We have included four group meals in the oveall cost. These will be on the first two evenings, the last evening and one evening in between.
Students need to make their own travel arrangements. The closest airport is Toulouse Blagnac, which is well served by scheduled flights within Europe. For a reasonable extra charge arrangements can usually be made for picking you up at Toulouse Blagnac airport. The drive to Castelnau de Montmiral takes around one hour.
Alternatively there is a regular shuttle bus service to take you from Toulouse Blagnac airport to the train station at Toulouse Matabiau. The shuttle journey time from the airport to the train station varies according to the time of day and can take between 30 minutes and an hour. The train journey from Toulouse Matabiau to Gaillac is around 40 – 50 minutes. We will meet you at Gaillac for no extra charge. Click here for the “locality and maps” page on which you will find three maps that will help you to locate Toulouse, Gaillac, Castelnau de Montmiral and Rue de la Porte Neuve.
For supplementary questions please make use of the ‘contact‘ page.