Covid 19 announcement
Students who were booked in for the 2020 sessions have told me how disappointed they were that, due to Covid19, they had to be cancelled. Unfortunately there remains a big question mark over the possibility of having sessions in the summer of 2021. To give us the best chance of going ahead while complying with any remaining virus-related restrictions, we have decided to make provisional arrangements for transferring our courses to September. Because of the uncertainty, it is too early for us to accept payments for bookings, but if you are interested, please fill in the booking form at the bottom of the page and we will keep you up to date with developments.
Prices for 2021 – our 33rd season
For 2021 at least, in accordance with student demand, we are experimenting with big organisational changes. Simply put, we will be asking students to pay separately for:
- Accommodation and meals, which you will need to organise for yourselves (but see below for suggestions).
- Teaching and the use and maintenance of the studio, for which you will pay the Course Director €1000. (To convert the prices to your currency at the current exchange rate, you may use this Currency Converter).
At the bottom of this page, you will find:
- An online booking form.
- Some helpful travel information
- Suggestions for accommodation
- Suggestions for breakfasts and other group meals.
Please go to our “facilities“ page for information about the artists’ supplies you will need to bring with you.
Provisional dates for 2021
Saturday 28 August to Saturday 11 September 2021
Saturday 18 September to Saturday 2 October 2021
* Several aspiring artists have come to Montmiral with the help of grants. If you are considering the idea of taking a university course (whether undergraduate or graduate), or if you are already at the stage of working independently and are hard pressed for funds for ongoing independent study, you might consider the availability of this option for the session you are interested in. In making the application, you should emphasise the uniqueness of the tuition available at this school. An easy way to do this would be to refer the grant giving body concerned to the Course Director page on this website. If your application is not accepted, let me know and I will look into your case with a view to deciding whether I can offer you a reduction.
- Bookings will be confirmed upon receipt of a deposit of €500 per person.
- The final payment should be made at least five weeks before arrival.
- No refunds are made in the event of cancellation. Therefore students are strongly advised to take out a holiday insurance policy which will protect them against any unforseen eventualities.
The booking form
Please fill in the online booking form below and then submit it. We will confirm receipt and send details of how and when to make payments.
For supplementary questions about the course, please make use of the ‘contact‘ page. For information that might help with accomodation, meals and travel, please look below.
Supplementary information on accommodation, meals and travel
Self catering – regularly used by our students
Room in private house
Agnès (Bed & breakfast; convenient for shops): Website
Just outside Montmiral
Two self-catering gites, contact Sarah Stubbs: Website
Hotel on central square
Hotel des Consuls: Website
2. Suggestions for group meals
In the past, we have eaten breakfasts and four evening meals together:
- For breakfasts we have been particularly happy to eat at ‘Au Baladin de la Gresigne’, where, by special arrangement, at breakfast time only, we have been offered exclusive use of the balcony or, if raining, a large indoor room. Frederique, who runs the place, offers a wide range of food and drink choices to suit individual needs. It costs a very reasonable €112 for the two weeks, which should be given in advance. It has also functioned as a very useful start-of-day meeting place, used for coordinating the day’s activity and, when appropriate, for me to give short talks. We hope to be able to organise these breakfasts this year, and that everyone will join us for them.
- The tradition has been for evening meals to take place on the first evening, the second evening, the last evening and one other evening. The last of these has always taken place at the Painting School. The others are special group meals cooked by professionals at a cost of up to €30 per meal.
3. Getting here
Students need to make their own travel arrangements. The closest airport is Toulouse Blagnac, which is well served by scheduled flights within Europe. For a reasonable extra charge arrangements can usually be made for picking you up at Toulouse Blagnac airport. The drive to Castelnau de Montmiral takes around one hour.
Alternatively there is a regular shuttle bus service to take you from Toulouse Blagnac airport to the train station at Toulouse Matabiau. The shuttle journey time from the airport to the train station varies according to the time of day and can take between 30 minutes and an hour. The train journey from Toulouse Matabiau to Gaillac is around 40 – 50 minutes. We will meet you at Gaillac for no extra charge. Click here for the “locality and maps” page on which you will find three maps that will help you to locate Toulouse, Gaillac, Castelnau de Montmiral and Rue de la Porte Neuve.