The final year
With great reluctance, I have decided to make 2022 the final year for the courses I have been running here in Castelnau de Montmiral, for the last thirty-three years. This will allow those students, who have already committed to coming next summer, to do so. It will also give a chance to some of the many others, who have told me how much they would like to return, to pay a final visit.
Being the last year, we are giving extra thought to how we will approach our 2022 courses. Although we cannot know how Covid19 will affect us in the summer of 2022, we will conform to any guidelines published by the French Government relating to “passe saniteres“, masks, social distancing, etc .
In the meantime, it would be helpful if any of you, who are interested in joining us in the summer of 2022, would let us know that this is the case, by filling in the booking form below.
First session: August 27 – September 10
Second session: September 17 – October 1
Prices and arrangements for 2022
- Teaching and the use and maintenance of the studio, for which you will pay the Course Director €1000. (To convert the prices to your currency at the current exchange rate, you may use this Currency Converter).
- Accommodation you will need to organise this for yourselves. To help you find accommodation, suggestions are listed below, under the heading ‘Information on accommodation, meals and travel‘, after the ‘Booking Form‘ below.
- Meals: Students will also need to organize their own meals, with the exception of breakfasts (for details, see after the ‘Booking Form‘ below).
Footnote: Several aspiring artists have come to Montmiral with the help of grants. If you are considering the idea of taking a university course (whether undergraduate or graduate), or if you are already at the stage of working independently and are hard pressed for funds for ongoing independent study, you might consider the availability of this option for the session you are interested in. In making the application, you should emphasise the uniqueness of the tuition available at this school. An easy way to do this would be to refer the grant giving body concerned to the Course Director page on this website. If your application is not accepted, let me know and I will look into your case with a view to deciding whether I can offer you a reduction.
Exceptionally, due to the uncertainties relating to Covid19, we have decided to dispense with deposits. We will have to trust that anyone, who has booked to come, will come, and, that, if circumstances arise to make their coming impossible, will let us know at the earliest opportunity.
The booking form
Please fill in the online booking form below and then submit it. If there are still vacancies, we will book you provisionally.
Information on accommodation, meals and travel
Accommodation in Montmiral
Self-catering gîtes regularly used by our students
Room in private house
Agnès (Bed & breakfast; convenient for shops): Website
Just outside Montmiral
Sarah Stubbs (Two self-catering gîtes) : Website
Elizabeth and Jonathan Adey (Multiple purpose house with several bedrooms, a separate small gite, large garden and wonderful cooking. Shuttle transport possible) : Website
Hotel on central square
Hotel des Consuls: Website
Breakfast and group meals
In the past, we have eaten breakfasts and some evening meals together:
- For breakfasts we have been particularly happy to eat at ‘Au Baladin de la Gresigne’, where, by special arrangement, at breakfast time only, we have been offered exclusive use of the balcony or, if raining, a large indoor room. Frederique, who runs the place, offers a wide range of food and drink choices to suit individual needs. It costs a very reasonable €112 for the two weeks, which should be given to me on arrival. It has also functioned as a very useful start-of-day meeting place, used for coordinating the day’s activity and, when appropriate, for me to give short talks. Accordingly, we ask that all students join us breakfasts.
- The tradition has been for us to enjoy some evening meals together. Depending on Covid regulations, some groups may be organized.
Students need to make their own travel arrangements. The closest airport is Toulouse Blagnac, which is well served by scheduled flights within Europe. For a reasonable extra charge arrangements can usually be made for picking you up at Toulouse Blagnac airport. The drive to Castelnau de Montmiral takes around one hour.
Alternatively there is a regular shuttle bus service to take you from Toulouse Blagnac airport to the train station at Toulouse Matabiau. The shuttle journey time from the airport to the train station varies according to the time of day and can take between 30 minutes and an hour. The train journey from Toulouse Matabiau to Gaillac is around 40 – 50 minutes. We will meet you at Gaillac for no extra charge. Click here for the “locality and maps“ page on which you will find three maps that will help you to locate Toulouse, Gaillac, Castelnau de Montmiral and Rue de la Porte Neuve.
For supplementary questions please make use of the ‘contact‘ page.